Tag with string meant to be tied to coal shovel from the U.S. Fuel Administration about conservation of coal supplies.
Hints for saving coal listed on back:
1. Cover furnace and pipes with asbestos, or other insulation; also weather strip your windows, or stuff cracks with cotton.
2. Keep your rooms at 68° (best heat for health).
3. Heat only the rooms you use all the time.
4. Test your ashes by sifting. If you find much good coal, there is something wrong with your heater. See a furnace expert.
5. Write to the maker of your furnace or stove for practical directions for running economically.
6. Save gas and electric lights as much as possible - this will save coal for the nation.
World War I
United States Fuel Administration